Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Memo from the Photo Editor


I'm a Photo Editor, so I get promo emails and postcards from photographers and reps pretty regularly. To be honest, most of them range from dreadful to forgettable, and are unceremoniously thrown out. Occasionally, though, I get a comp card featuring a shot I like enough to stop what I'm doing and visit the photographer's site. And in the space of five minutes that person's gone from being completely unknown to me, to being an artist whose work I admire. Their cards get tacked to the wall above my desk, for the day I have an assignment they'd be right for. And, starting today, I'm going to write a quick post about them, as well.

I was flipping through the AtEdge Macroview 09 book yesterday, when I saw a shot by brothers Erick & Ian Regnard. It was a b&w underwater shot of a nude woman swimming with two stingrays that reminded me of a Hokusai woodblock print. [I couldn't find the photo online, or I'd post it here].

The Regnards' surf-inspired lifestyle shots tend have a impressionistic, slightly desaturated look, which sort of has an 'instant nostalgia' Polaroid feel that I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment